Thursday 22 December 2011

Girls' album review. Father, Son, Holy Ghost

Whatever it is about Girls' album Father, Son, Holy Ghost but it sounds like I've already heard it.  I was singing along to songs midway through despite the fact that I was on a first listen.  I'm not quite sure if this is a good thing or not because it may mean I'll get sick of them very quickly.  Clearly influenced by music from the 60s and 70s there is nothing strikingly original about them but are refreshing nonetheless. There's been a lot of hooha about them but whether they'll stand the test of time, I'm not so sure. But who needs longevity? I'm all about the here and now these days.


This track, Honey Bunny is written about lead singer Christopher Owens' mother. It has a nice surf rock vibe to it.  The video features some questionable fashion choices that reminds me of the line 'indeterminate sexual preference, something retro on my necklace' from the Being a Dickhead is Cool is viral:



This second song is a slow burner and has a real Pink Floyd feeling to it.  The videos for both this and Honey Bunny feature all-American cars; a Chevrolet Corvette and a '66 Mustang respectively. I suspect the band might be big car fans.



I'm guessing they'll be doing the rounds at festivals next summer.

0 comments: